Step 1: Preparation for Pro Image Topcoat
Preparation for Application over Raw Wood
- The floor must be sanded properly using NWFA specifications, finishing with a 120-grit screen. If this is not done correctly, the finish may have visible scratch marks.
- Water popping is optional and can slightly darken a floor. If you water pop, you may apply General Finishes Pro Floor Stain immediately because it is a water-based floor stain.
- When dry, abrade with maroon pad and 240-grit strip or equivalent abrasive. Vacuum thoroughly then wipe with water-damped towels.
If Recoating an Existing Floor
- Clean off all wax, grease, and oils with an appropriate hardwood floor cleaner or a 50|50 mix of denatured alcohol and water.
- Buff the finish with a maroon pad and 240-grit strips.
- Vacuum all dust followed by wiping with a damp rag.
- Apply 1 or 2 coats of Pro Image.
- A test area is recommended before applying to the full floor to check for adhesion.